Several people have asked for the prayer used at the end of Roger's sermon (4/3/16) and the points describing the orphan spirit.
Here they are:
"Jesus, please forgive me for embracing the attitudes, actions and heart of an orphan. Your heart and desire for me is that I am a healthy part of a spiritual family. I break all soul ties I have formed with an orphan spirit in Jesus name. I bind my body, heart and spirit to God’s will and purpose for me, in Jesus name. Lord, I ask that you would heal my mind and my heart from the spirits of abandonment, rejection and fatherlessness. God please help me to have the heart of a son and please help me to turn my heart toward my spiritual father. Lord, please help me to pray for and support the spiritual fathers you have placed in my life. Please help me to model the attitude and heart that Jesus had toward You as He walked this earth. Lord, please reveal to me all areas in my life that have been wounded. Please heal those areas and make me whole. Lord I ask that you would help me to forgive everyone who I looked to as a spiritual father or leader who wounded me or failed me. Lord, please help me to commit to a church and spiritual father. In Jesus Name, Amen."
The prayer is from a blog - The World According to Grace - (Not sure what her last name is). These are not a direct quote but edited by me with additions and subtractions.
How the Orphan Spirit manifests in the church (My header title)
1. Unable to put down roots in a church or change churches frequently
2. Always looking for "bigger and better". Lacks an understanding of the fellowship of believers.
3. Feeling based faith (if it feels good then it must be right rather than principle based faith).
4. Always looking for recognition (is jealous of others when they get recognition).
5. Is easily offended (another reason to leave the church).
6. Feelings of abandonment even when no one has (has trouble reaching out to others).
7. Attitude of "no one is going to tell me what to do."
8. Attitude of "been there, done that" (unteachable).
9. Survivor mentality, always looking out for oneself.
10. Never truly comfortable in the presence of an anointed leader.
11. Rejects others before they can be rejected.
* These are not a direct quote but edited by me with additions and subtractions.
The other list is entitled "The Difference Between the Orphan Spirit and a Spirit of Sonship" by Joseph Mattera
* The list is from Joseph Mattera but I made changes to and dropped some things and added some things.
1. The orphan spirit operates out of insecurity and jealousy. The spirit of sonship functions in love and acceptance.
2. The orphan spirit is jealous of the success of others. The mature son or daughter is committed to the success of others and even promotes them over self.
3. The orphan spirit serves God to EARN the Father's love. The mature son serves God out of sense of God's favor and affirmation.
4. The orphan spirit tries to medicate its deep internal alienation through physical stimulation. The mature son walks in the joy of the knowledge of the Father's love.
5. The orphan spirit is driven by the need for success. The Spirit leads the mature son into his calling and mission.
6. The orphan spirit uses people as objects to fulfill goals. Mature sons serve people to bless the kingdom.
7. The orphan spirit has anger and fits of rage. The spirit of sonship rests in the Father's ability to control and guide the future.
8. The orphan spirit is always in competition with others. The spirit of sonship is always blessing others.
9. The orphan spirit lacks self-esteem. The spirit of sonship walks in the love and acceptance of Father God.
10. The orphan spirit receives its primary identity through material possessions, physical appearance and what you can do. The spirit of sonship is grounded in the knowledge of his identity in Father God.
Song: Father Me by Brian Doerksen from Album entitled: The Father's House - for those who would like to hear the whole thing. Very good!