Dear Students and Parents,
We hope your fall is rolling along well! As you know, Christ Pres and St. Giles have teamed up for our Student Ministries. It’s time for an important piece of that process for our students in 8th grade or above – Confirmation Group. We’re writing to let you know what we’re thinking, so that you can decide whether you’d like to participate.
What is Confirmation Group? It’s the group process that we offer for those who are ready to consider what it means to profess faith in Christ and join the church. The group will provide an opportunity for participants to think through the Christian faith, and to determine whether they want to claim for themselves the faith that their parents claimed in their behalf when they were little. We’ll cover topics like what it means to be a Christian, how to grow as a disciple, how to serve, and what it means to be a Christian of the Presbyterian variety.
The Confirmation Group will have five main pieces:
1) Participating students will be paired with a mentor, an older Christian in the church who will talk about how life with Jesus has worked for him/her (guys will be paired with a man, and gals will be paired with a woman). The students will meet with their mentor a couple of times to talk, and then the mentors will continue informally as interested adult encouragers for our students.
2) Participating students will read the Gospel of Luke, which will be part of the discussion for the retreat.
3) The students will go on a retreat on the weekend of April 1-3. We’ll be heading to a beach house for a true spiritual retreat – a time apart to be with the Lord and each other, and to receive instruction from Kevin and Keith in the basics of the faith.
4) The students will meet with the Elders of their respective congregation to describe their faith in Jesus – questions like, “Tell us what you believe about Jesus and why. Are you ready to say that Jesus is your Lord and Savior? What does that mean?” The Confirmation Group will prepare the students for this conversation, and we will check with each student involved to see if she/he is ready. As the students profess their faith in Jesus, the Elders will then vote to receive them as members of the church, and to approve baptism for those not yet baptized.
5) Then we will plan a worship service for the students to profess their faith and be baptized.
All of these steps are valuable for a good Confirmation Group process. While there are other plans we can shape for students who want to join the church but cannot participate fully, we want those who do participate to commit to full participation. In that way each student will be enriched by all the students, and the group process itself will be a blessing.
What do you think? Would you like to participate? Know that our kickoff will be a brunch on January 9, at 10:00 a.m., at Christ Pres. If you have questions about how this will work, please give any of us a call. If you would like to participate, call or shoot us an email. And if we don’t hear from you, we’ll be in touch.
We look forward to working with you all!
Kevin Germer, Taylor Greene, and Keith Hill